Sunday, August 10, 2014

Arrogance

What is arrogance? Off to the dictionary:

ar·ro·gant

having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.


Am I arrogant? Well, I have opinions and theories based on observation, but are they right? And are my observations biased and opinionated? Do I have an exaggerated sense of my ability to form theories about people and their condition?

I think you can't avoid bias, especially in interpersonal matters. You can have opinions, even without knowing all the facts. 

What's that you say? 

You say that that would invariably lead to wrong conclusions? Well yes, from time to time, depending on how much facts you actually have. 

Which makes arriving at conclusions tricky when people are involved. They won't tell you all the facts. (though WHY they won't is beyond me)

Are we then condemned to be wrong about people most of the time? Maybe. Probably. 

But we need theories. To be precise, we need working theories so we can make decisions and not be paralyzed by indecisiveness. We have to accept the fact that we are constantly wrong and live with it. 

So why am I writing this?

Guilt. 

Guilt because I think I'm right. I sincerely and wholeheartedly believe I'm right most of the time.

And people don't seem to like my theories, especially when they perceive that I'm wrong. (even though I think I'm not)

So what are my choices? Lie to people about what I think or be honest (and be probably wrong)?

...

A ladybird just landed on my finger. Didn't see one for years. 

Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something. 

Perhaps it's a demonstration of the folly of human conceit... of my conceit.

It's gone now. I am alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment